Podtours of Belgium
Your personal sightseeing guide
We currently have the following podtours of Belgium available:
- Bruges - an audio tour of the medieval city, visiting the mansion of a Flemish merchant who became a Peer of England, the headquarters of the Genoese merchants, and an unusual church modelled on the tomb of Jesus in Jerusalem.
- Ghent - an audio tour of the city visiting twelfth century fortified houses and fine baroque palaces, and ending with van Eyck's painting of the Mystic Lamb. En route we learn about the struggles between merchants and nobles, why Ghent supported the English king's claim to the throne of France, and Ghent's bitter rivalry with Bruges as the busiest trading town of Flanders.
- Mechelen - now just a provincial town, once the capital of the Burgundian Netherlands. But its historic past leaves it some splendid buildings.
- Antwerp - city of Rubens. Visit this splendid baroque city and experience the wealth of the seventeenth century. You'll also see the Renaissance Butchers' Hall - perhaps the greatest guild hall of them all - and hear about Lange Wapper, a bogeyman who only appears if you've had too much to drink.
- Brussels - free tours of the cathedral and the famous Grand'Place.
- "In Flanders Fields" - two tours of First World War battlefields and cemeteries on the Ypres Salient , with a free tour of the town of Ieper itself.